Speak To Your Primary Care Physician about Controlling Your Cholesterol Levels

safe11

High cholesterol puts you at an increased risk for heart disease. People of all ages can take steps in order to help keep their cholesterol levels within normal range.

Why Control Cholesterol?
When you control your cholesterol, you are giving your arteries, their best chance to remain clear of blockages. Cholesterol is a waxy substance and our bodies use it to make cell membranes and some hormones, but when you have too much bad cholesterol (LDL), it combines with white blood cells and forms plaque in your veins and arteries. These blockages lead to heart disease and stroke.

Have Your Blood – Tested
High cholesterol commonly exhibits no signs and no symptoms. A simple blood test called a lipoprotein profile can reveal your cholesterol levels. It measures various kinds of cholesterol and also triglycerides. The National Cholesterol Education Program recommends that healthy adults have their cholesterol levels checked every five years.

Desirable cholesterol levels:
•    Total cholesterol – Less than 200 mg/dL
•    LDL (bad cholesterol) – Less than 100 mg/dL
•    HDL (good cholesterol) – 40 mg/dL or higher
•    Triglycerides – Less than 150 mg/dL

The Cost of High Cholesterol:
If your cholesterol level is 200mg/dL or higher, you need to take action. High cholesterol can cause blocked arteries, and like a multi-car pile-up, one problem often creates another. Plaque-lined arteries and veins become less flexible and do not deliver as much blood to your body. Blocked arteries can cause heart attacks and may raise blood pressure which can eventually lead to heart damage or failure. Cholesterol and plaque can become lodged in your kidney’s filters and cause problems regulating your fluids and hormones. Lowering your cholesterol helps your whole body get adequate blood supply and keeps your circulatory organs functioning well.

Some Tips to control your cholesterol:
Your liver and your body cells make about 75% of the cholesterol in your blood. The other 25% comes from your food. The American Heart Association recommends the following:

1.    Consume a Healthy Diet:
Your primary care physician will recommend consuming a healthy diet which can help control blood cholesterol levels. Consuming fiber may help lower cholesterol. You should avoid trans-fats, unsaturated fat and dietary cholesterol as they have a tendency to raise cholesterol levels. You should limit your alcohol intake because it can cause high blood pressure which increases your risk of heart attack or stroke.

2.    Maintain a Healthy Weight:
Obesity may raise bad cholesterol levels. Losing weight may help drastically reduce your levels.

3.    Exercise Regularly:
Physical activity helps maintain weight and lower cholesterol. Adults should participate in some form of physical activity for a minimum of 30 minutes per day.

4.    Do Not Smoke:
Smoking damages blood vessels and increases the hardening of arteries. Smoking dramatically increases your risk of heart disease and stroke. If you do not presently smoke, you should not start. If you do presently smoke, quitting will greatly reduce your risks.

The physician of AOK Emergency room provides you proper suggestion for controlling your cholesterol Levels.

If you are worry about your High cholesterol, then just call (281)542-3998 for 24 hour emergency care in Houston and take a good advice and proper treatment.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s