When Should Your Child Go to the ER?
When your child gets hurt or sick, do you take them directly to an emergency room without a second thought? Although it is understandable that you want to ensure your child is fine, sometimes it’s more appropriate to see the pediatrician instead.
How will you know the sign or injuries of emergency? First, ask the pediatricians opinion for when to go emergency room. Then brush up on the following reasons can help you assess your child’s health and make a decision to go to the ER.
Conditions that needs “Emergency care”-
- Poison – If your child has ingested any household cleaning products or excessive amounts of medication
- Bleeding – Persistent bleeding that won’t stop after direct pressure has been applied.
- Deep laceration – A large cut on the head, chest or abdomen.
- Persistent pain – Severe pain that continues to get worse.
- Concussion – A bump on the head that leads to vomiting, confusion, headache, dizziness or numbness.
- Trouble Breathing – Shallow breathes, very fast breaths or if the lips are turning blue.
- Fever – Persistent fever that is 103 degrees or higher. Also if the fever is low grade but last longer than a week.
Visit the Pediatrician
Below you can review different instances in which you can visit the pediatrician first instead of going directly to the emergency room.
- Bump on the Head – Not all bumps on the head lead to a concussion. If your child gets up and stops crying after some attention then they don’t need to go to the emergency room.
- Fever – A low grade fever that lasts up to a few days.
- Vomiting – Children will get sick so as long as you keep them hydrated and they don’t throw up for more than 24 hours.
- Split lip – If the bleeding stops after your child drinks cold water or eats some ice.
- Rash – A rash that does not cause your child to have breathing problems.
The broad certified Pediatrician and nurses at AOK Emergency Room Houston takes care of your child & provide you the proper diagnosis & treatment to get well soon.
If your child is suspect of these problems don’t wait for anything, just call (281)542-3998 for 24 hour emergency care in Houston and take a good advice and proper treatment.